top of page
  • The Gerring Law Firm

Am I legally required to file a police report if I am in a car accident in Missouri?

“Let’s just keep this between ourselves, shall we?” The classic post-accident line. One person asks the other to keep the accident from the police to avoid making an insurance claim. Is this permissible under Missouri law?

The answer looks like both yes and no.

You must report accidents that happen in Missouri to the Drivers License Bureau if:

1.) The accident happened less than one year ago;

2.) The accident involved an uninsured motorist, And;

3.) The accident caused property damage more than $500, or someone was

injured, or someone was killed.

If the accident did not cause $500 in property damage or personal injury or death, you must still file an accident report if there was an uninsured motorist involved.

If both parties have insurance, it is up to the discretion of the parties if they call the police. My advice is to always (always!) make a police report. You simply cannot trust that the other person will come through on their promise to pay you. The safest method is to get that person’s insurance and let them handle it. After an accident the last concern you should have is whether the person who hit you will have their insurance rates raised.

The Gerring Law Firm, Personal Injury Lawyer Saint Louis, Best Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me, Car Accident Lawyer, The Gerring Law Firm, Personal Injury Lawyer Saint John
Don't take the other party's word for it. File a police report after an accident.

9 views0 comments


bottom of page